A Century of “Aeritalia”
100 years have passed since the maiden flight by Lt. Almerigi to test the sp2 aircraft took place on July 10, 1916 from the Turin-Aeritalia airport.
In addition to Aeritalia, the only Italian airports still active today after more than 100 years are Cameri (Novara) July 28, 1910, La Comina (Pordenone) August 7, 1910, Venaria (Torino) 1910, Aviano (Pordenone) 1911, and Ciampino (Rome) February 14, 1916.
With the intention of providing suitable and appropriate emphasis to this Anniversary, a work group was formed in October 2015 under the direction of the Aero Club Torino. This immediately set to work to determine all organizational aspects.
The various local public bodies (Piedmont Region and the Municipalities involved in the event) plus the most important trade associations (Employers’ Association, Confindustria, Chambers of Commerce, Aero Club of Italy, etc.) associated themselves with the Organising Committee.
The anniversary was celebrated with the particular support of the Municipality of Collegno and Industrial Union through a series of events that gained universal acceptance.